The above headline is a good, one line summary of my 2019 (Well almost!). The year-end has given me some time to pause, reflect and cherish the highs and lows from 2019 and plan for the next year. And here are my reflections:
At the beginning of the year, I was already prepared for a roller coaster year with young kids at home, new role, startup, voluntary commitments, family trips, limited resources and the cricket Worldcup in England ?. And 2019 delivered on the promises and kept it interesting till the end.
On the work front:
As an entrepreneur, it has been extremely tough and highly rewarding at the same time. Our team has grown to 19 employees, we’ve closed our seed round, signed agreements with Dubai government, Dubai sports council, Advanced discussions with few state governments in India, onboarding new partners, and the list goes on..
But the two most important metrics for us, have been
81% of our customers say that their health has improved between the first and second visit
Our Net Promoter Score (NPS) is at a world class +82
It has obviously not been easy and we’ve also committed mistakes and learnt our lessons the hard way. Cashflow management and more focus are top two areas that I’d personally like to work on next year. Increasing sales and speed of execution will be other areas to improve in 2020.
Every startup goes through this learning journey. And the only way a company can survive, is with the support of right partners, friends and customers. Thank you for being part of this journey.
On the professional front:
- Two mentees have landed great jobs and achieved business success. There’s nothing more rewarding than following their fantastic journey
- Nomination to the board of Finland India Trade Association was also a big high of the year. It’s an honor and a privilege to be able to contribute to home and adopted home and strengthen the collaboration
- Managing sales and marketing, leading the team and all the PR success, was the perfect icing on the cake
And on the personal front:
- 2019 has been a great year with some minor blips, but has given a stable personal and family life
- Family and Friends trip to England and watching the Worldcup with kids was one of the highs of this year. Onboarding our next generation to the world of cricket has begun
- FinBolly Movies, which started as a hobby has translated into a full-fledged movie distribution business. Over 15000 people in Finland have watched Bollywood movies on a big screen in 2019, across 10 different cities. With our first event, we’ve also made the big leap into events. And 2020 only promises to be better and bigger
- India Day 2019. Being part of this team for the third consecutive year and producing an event of this scale has been an honor and a proud accomplishment in many ways
The challenges of 2019 will still continue in 2020. We must keep people healthy!
75% of the global healthcare costs originate from preventable conditions.
On an average, people spend 20% of their lifetime with chronic illnesses or otherwise in lowered capacity. That’s almost 15-20 years of ones’ lifetime
We want to be the catalyst of this change. But the path ahead is extremely difficult. Being an entrepreneur, an expat entrepreneur in Finland is extremely challenging (although the media would like us to believe otherwise). And I do hope that 2020 gives me the courage and delivers more highs than lows to pursue this vision. As a dad, husband, son, brother and a friend I’ll wish for more time, more energy!
Thank you to each and every one of you, for your support, encouragement and for being part of our journey. Hope you have time to reflect on your own journey and do let me know if I can help in anyway. I’d definitely like to hear from you and be in touch.
Until then, Wish you a wonderful Christmas and Happy holidays. Stay healthy, be happy.